International Study Centre

Visa information

Applying for a visa

You will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa in order to study at LJMU International Study Centre.

How do I get a UK student visa?

First, you must apply for the programme of your choice.

  • Receive an offer of a place on your chosen programme.
  • Send requested documents to be checked by Admissions team or your Student Enrolment Adviser. This will include IELTS scores, medical certificates, financial statements and exam results, if you have already received them.
  • Receive a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies).
  • Pay a deposit and CAS payment.
  • Apply for your visa online, and pay the application fee. You must attach financial statements which prove that you have the funds to cover the programme and your living costs.
  • You may be required to attend a credibility interview.
  • UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will inform you whether your visa application has been accepted or rejected.

When should I apply for a visa?

You can apply for a visa up to three months before your course start date. Apply early to make sure there is enough time for your application to be processed.

How long can I stay in the UK with a student visa?

In addition to the period of leave given to you to carry out your course of study, leave to remain will also be granted depending on your length of course. See section 5.66 in Tier 4 Sponsor Guidance document to find out more.

Can I work with a student visa?

If you are a Tier 4 student, you are entitled to work during your pathway programme at the International Study Centre providing that your visa is granted on or after 1 August 2019.

The main purpose of the Tier 4 visa route is for students to come to the UK to study. Where a student is permitted to work, the intention is that this should be an opportunity to gain work experience in their field of study. In most cases we expect this to be taking a part-time role for an established business/organisation (for example, a customer service role at a retailer) or as part of a work placement provided it is an integral and assessed part of your course.

A Tier 4 visa allows you to work for a maximum of 10 hours per week during term-time for an undergraduate level study or 20 hours per week during term-time for a postgraduate level study. This is the maximum hours in any one week, including paid or unpaid work and for one or more organisation. This cannot be averaged over a longer period. A 'week' is defined by the Home Office as a period of 7 days beginning with a Monday. This also includes both paid and unpaid work.

If allowed to work, students cannot:

  • be employed as a doctor in training (except on a recognised foundation programme)
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson (including a sports coach)
  • be employed as an entertainer
  • be self-employed (except where the student is awaiting a decision on an application they have made for leave to remain as a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur
  • engage in business activity
  • fill a full-time, permanent vacancy (except on a recognised foundation programme or as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer).

If you stop studying before completing your course, you will no longer be entitled to work and will be in breach of your conditions of leave if found working.

Visa credibility interviews

What is a credibility interview?

A credibility interview - also known as a visa interview - is designed to ensure that you comply with the UK’s immigration rules. Not everyone is required to have one; it depends on your home country. In the interview, an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) will try to establish that you are a genuine student, and not planning to use a student visa for holiday or work. The interview is nothing to worry about; you just need to show that you are serious about studying at a UK university, and that you have researched your chosen course at the International Study Centre.

Do I need an interview?

You may not need to attend a credibility interview. If you are an applicant from a country listed here you will not be required to attend a credibility interview.

Where will I have my credibility interview?

You will normally be interviewed at the visa application centre when you submit your visa application documents. This interview is via a secure video system and you will be interviewed by a UKVI member of staff who is in the UK.

How should I prepare for a credibility interview?

Make sure you have researched LJMU International Study Centre and are able to explain why you chose it. Familiarise yourself with the content of the course. Think about why you want to study in the UK, rather than elsewhere.

What questions will I be asked in a credibility interview?

Below are a few examples of common credibility interview questions:

The purpose of a Tier 4 visa is to study in the UK – not to work. You will need to be clear that your main focus will be your course and that, if you do work, it will be to compliment your degree in the correct amount of working right hours.
Tell the interviewer about your reasons for choosing to study in the UK, rather than in your home country or elsewhere.
Demonstrate that you have researched the content of your course, and be able to explain why you chose it.
Tell the interviewer how you plan to meet the costs of living and studying in the UK.

What if my student visa is refused?

If you receive a visa refusal, you have 28 days to submit an Administrative Review to the UKVI to challenge the decision made. You will need to respond in writing to each of the points raised in the refusal.

Latest information on pre-arrival guidance, starting your course and information on the latest COVID-19 news