Pre-sessional English and Online Pre-Sessional English
Find out more about English for undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
Who is this programme for?
If you hold a conditional offer for International Year One from Liverpool John Moores University and one of the conditions is to improve your English score, then the Online Pre-Sessional English will help you raise your English language skills to the level you need to start International Year One Pathway.
Our Pre-Sessional English courses for international students are delivered in the International Study Centre and offered over 6 or 12 weeks, depending on your standard of English and the level required for your University offer. Meanwhile our Online Pre-Sessional English 10 or 20-week programmes are taught via Study Group's Virtual Study Centre which you can do from home.
Let us know you need English language preparation when you are completing your application form.
Why study Pre-Sessional English?
- Boost your spoken and written English skills to the required level for direct entry to LJMU.
- Meet fellow international students before you start your degree.
- Gain the opportunity to familiarise yourself with the city of Liverpool early.
Why study Online Pre-Sessional English
- Boost your spoken and written English skills to the required level for International Year One at LJMU.
- Study online from home without being required to come to campus for Face to Face learning.
- Low expenses
The Pre-Sessional English programme is designed to improve your English for academic study at the same time as developing the skills required for successful undergraduate or postgraduate study at Liverpool John Moores University.
Online Pre-sessional English helps you to improve your English language skills to the level needed for International Year One
You will be introduced to:
- teaching and assessment approaches used in the University
- academic writing conventions
- listening skills
- grammar and vocabulary development
- presentation techniques and seminar skills
- analytical and problem solving skills.
Your performance will be managed through continual assessment and feedback. This will include monitoring your development through every aspect of the pre-sessional English course, from writing, reading and listening, to presentation and analytical skills.
You must have a conditional offer for either an undergraduate or postgraduate programme, with one condition being to improve your English score.
- 12 weeks: 5.0 Academic IELTS for UKVI (4.5 in all skills)
- 6 weeks: 5.5 Academic IELTS for UKVI (5.0 in all skills)
Online Pre-Sessional English
- 10 weeks: 5.0 Academic IELTS for UKVI (5.0 in all skills)
- 20 weeks: 4.5 Academic IELTS for UKVI (4.5 in all skills)
Please note that some degree options may ask for higher entry requirements, please check with LJMU International Admissions, your offer letter or the LJMU website.
In this section
Course length: 6 weeks or 12 weeks
Entry dates: May (12 weeks) or July (6 weeks)
May 2022 - 12 weeks:
30/05/2022 - 19/08/2022
July 2022 - 6 weeks:
11/07/2022 - 19/08/2022
May 2023 - 12 weeks:
29/05/2023 - 19/08/2023
July 2023 - 6 weeks:
10/07/2023 - 19/08/2023
Online Pre-Sessional English
Course length: 10 weeks or 20 weeks
Entry dates: May
25/05/2022 - 12/08/2022
25/05/2022 - 18/11/2022
Our programmes offer students great value for money. Discover our different fees and find out how much your programme is.Find your fees
The International Study Centre will provide you with all the support you need to complete your undergraduate studies, it will build your foundation, your confidence in English. It is basically one of the greatest decisions I have made coming here.
Yousef from Saudi Arabia
Studied International Year One in Business
Progressed to BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance